If you’re embarrassed by crooked or gapped teeth, it’s never too late to invest in a straight smile with Invisalign. You don’t have to worry about brackets or wires because clear aligners are worn over your teeth. Invisalign is comfortable, discreet, and effective in correcting many bite and alignment concerns, but what if you have restorations? Whether you have crowns, veneers, or bridges, a straight smile is possible; however, there are a few things you should know.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is the clear choice in orthodontics because the aligners are nearly invisible when worn over the teeth to move them gradually. Traditional braces rely on brackets and wires to slowly pull teeth into position. Invisalign differs because a series of aligners apply continual pressure to reposition teeth. They are worn for at least 22 hours per day and changed weekly, with the average treatment completed in about 12 months.
Can You Get Invisalign with Restorations?
If you have a tooth or two with restorations, you can still get Invisalign with crowns, veneers, and bridges. Although it’s possible, every case differs and your treatment plan may differ from people without any, depending on the type of restoration:
- Crowns: Orthodontic treatment with a crown can be challenging, but Invisalign makes it easy because nothing is attached to the tooth.
- Bridges: Moving teeth with a bridge attached can damage the prosthetic when using metal braces, but it can be possible with Invisalign.
- Veneers: Metal braces can’t be attached to veneers, but minor movements can be made with Invisalign.
Your dentist will examine your mouth to determine if you’re a candidate for Invisalign. They’ll create a safe, effective solution to achieve your best smile. After completing your treatment, you’ll require a retainer to prevent your teeth from moving back into their previous positions. If you need a restoration after getting your retainer, it may not fit over a crown, so you will need to have it adjusted or replaced.
Invest in the Benefits of Invisalign
If you missed your chance for braces as a teen, or your teeth have moved over the years, Invisalign is a great option to fix your bite and alignment. Clear aligners offer a variety of benefits not possible with traditional braces, including:
- Better confidence because the aligners are difficult to detect.
- No dietary restrictions because the aligners are removable.
- Smooth and comfortable, so there’s no irritation to the inside of the lips or cheeks.
- Easy maintenance and care.
- Less time in the dental treatment because you don’t need adjustments.
- Quick results in about 12 months.
Don’t let a crown, veneer, or bridge stop you from improving your smile. Contact your cosmetic dentist today to see if Invisalign is right for you.
About Dr. Kamlesh Makwana
Dr. Makwana earned his dental degree from Marquette University and completed a General Practice Residency and Fellowship at the Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University. He regularly pursues continuing education in advanced services, like cosmetic dentistry and Invisalign. Contact our office today to request your consultation for Invisalign.